Need help understanding packaging

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Wed Jun 27 15:36:31 CEST 2018

Hi Guido,

> I forgot to mention that I read the book and the articles on the site
> and I think I know the abstract of it but I lack the concrete steps.
>
> What I think I know know:
> - I have to make the directory into a SRC-package

our regular work flow is to extract src packages from the Genode
repository. If you want to use this work flow, you have to create a
so-called recipe. All recipes are stored under <genode>/<repo>/recipes/.
You can find more information about the use of recipes in Section 5.5.4.
"Automated extraction of archives from the source tree" of the Genode
Foundations book [1]. Should the documentation be too scarce, I'd like
to know what additional information would help you to connect the dots.

[1] https://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations-18-05.pdf

That said, you can assemble your src archive by hand just as well. It is
basically a Genode repository supplemented with a tiny bit of meta data
(the 'used_apis' and optional 'api' file in the top level directory).
Please have a look at an existing archive like [2] as reference.

[2] <genode>/depot/genodelabs/src/init/2018-06-26

> - From there I do a build to get BIN package

Yes. This is done with the tool/depot/create tool. A typical invocation
of the tool looks like this (please refer to the book for the
description of the arguments):

  cd genode
  ./tool/depot/create guido/bin/x86_64/init \
                  UPDATE_VERSIONS=1 FORCE=1 REBUILD=

> - That I copy to a webroot and point my testbox to it.

You won't copy the content of the binary archive directly to the web
server. First, there is a so-called 'publish' step, which creates tar
archives for the to-be-published archive and its dependencies, and signs
those tar archives with your private OpenPGP key. This step populates
the <genode>/public/ directory. The latter can then be rsync'd to your
web server.

I think that all this information should be covered in the book's
Section 5.5. If I was telling anything new that is not covered there,
I'd appreciate a hint from you. ;-)