your mail

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Wed Jun 13 10:53:12 CEST 2018

Hi Divya,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 02:19:58PM +0530, Divya Lakshmanan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working to load Genode on a custom board. For the Sabrelite board, I
> have seen in the forums that the load address of the Genode image is
> 0x10800000. I have been successful with loading Genode on the Sabrelite
> board.
> Can someone tell me how I can find the similar load address for my custom
> board? To be able to boot Genode on it.

it harldy depends on what kernel you're trying to use. In the
following, I'm assuming that you are using our own base-hw kernel.

Your question relates to where the first image loaded by the
bootloader (u-boot?) resides in physical memory? Of course, it depends
which address-range the physical memory of your board uses. In
contrast to x86 boards, on ARM the physical memory does not
necessarily start at address 0x0. Dependent on the SoC, the
bus-hierarchy and the *RAM controller connected to it use quite
different addresses. On i.MX6 for instance dependent on the DDR
RAM configuration it starts at 0x10000000 or 0x80000000.

Typically, we try to link the base-hw bootstrap component, the one
that starts in physical mode resp. with disabled MMU, at the start of
the physical memory. Dependent on the u-boot configuration of your
board it might clash to use the very beginning of the physical memory,
that is why you might use some offset of a few pages in addition to
it. By the way, the link address of bootstrap is defined in:

  tool/run/boot_dir/hw

within the function 'bootstrap_link_address'. Again, this applies to
our own base-hw kernel infrastructure only.

Does this answer your question?

Best regards
Stefan

> Thank you.