Fullscreen VM in sculpt

Roman Iten roman.iten at gapfruit.com
Thu Jul 19 22:02:51 CEST 2018

Hi everyone

I want to get a better understanding related to the resizing (in
general, not only full screen) of virtual box guest screens.

On 07/05/2018 07:41 PM, Christian Helmuth wrote:
> It may be worthwhile to add code to the VirtualBox console that
> centers virtual framebuffers in the used Framebuffer session on a
> black background. This would look nicer in the boot phase and would
> also instantly act on window size change (before the guest is able to
> adapt).

I agree. At [1] is a *very* basic/raw/incomplete implementation. For now
I just ignore some obvious problems:

- The pointer event coordinates are off exactly the x/y-offsets used to
center the virtual framebuffer inside the used Framebuffer session.

- During the boot phase of the guest (Debian 9.4) it seems to happen
that the wrong screen regions are redrawn.

- The login screen is screwed up...

What puzzles me more right now is the following behavior: when I grab
and drag the resize handle of the window decorator in order to change
the size of the window, the window edge doesn't "follow" the mouse
pointer. Only after a delay of about 2 seconds of no mouse motion, the
window border reflects the new dimensions. For me it looks like the
window layouter "waits" until the guest additions acknowledges the
resize hint?

Some other questions related to development/debugging in this "area":

- Editing files in ports/src/virtualbox5 results in a long build time -
is there a way to circumvent that?

- I'd like to add diagnostic debug messages to the VirtualBox console to
get an idea when which method is called - but this makes only sense if a
can simultaneously see the virtual box window and the log terminal. I
changed the alpha attribute of nit_fader in /config/leitzentrale from 0
to 100. But then I cannot grab the window resize handle any more to
trigger the log output...

Any hints are are welcome.

Thanks, Roman

[1]