Nova on a bit old CPU

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Wed Jul 11 22:21:52 CEST 2018

On 11.07.2018 18:24, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> I have realized that if I set the CPU to coreDuo in QEMU rather than
> core2Duo, my run/bomb
> program would not give any output at all.

We know, thats why the default CPU for NOVA on Qemu is Core2Duo (and
nothing older) in our run tool.

> My real CPU is a dual core. But the BIOS does not enable virtualization
> model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6300  @ 1.86GHz

Theoretically, this is sufficient for the NOVA kernel.

> I had the idea to test run/bomb in QEMU with my host CPU, but after
> installing a KVM linux kernel,

You are at your own. KVM caused in the past trouble and we did abandon
the idea to use it with the NOVA kernel.

Paul,

if you really really really want to get this running on this very very
very old CPU, we need to have serial output. We can't work with guesses
or any attempts to run it virtualized. On the other hand, why you want it ?

For Genode Sculpt TC we don't envision to run on such old hardware. Even
if you get it booted, it will make no fun to use with Sculpt (to few
memory, to slow CPU, not supported network card, no IOMMU support,
virtualization support is unclear etc etc...)

What about our suggested hardware [0,1] for Sculpt TC ? Refurbished
versions of the machines are not that expensive - or at least some more
_recent_ Intel machine - if you are really interested. If you just want
to give it a spin without the desire to run it on a daily basis, running
Sculpt TC in a VM should be sufficient.

[0]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-tc#Hardware_requirements_and_preparations
[1] http://usr.sysret.de/jws/genode/hcl.html

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden