Memory write tracing/logging of an application / Watchpoints in Genode/Fiasco.OC

Martin Stein martin.stein at ...1...
Mon Jan 22 16:42:20 CET 2018

Hi Josef,

El 12/01/18 a las 16:51, Stark, Josef escribió:
> Step 4 is relatively easy and already working, so I now have an app that pagefaults
> and gets resumed repeatedly at the same address and ip since I couldn't implement
> the rest of the steps so far. The reason is that I can't figure out how to access the
> Thread_state of the thread causing the pagefault. The Vinit uses an imprint written
> into the State that can be used to correlate an RM client to the pagefault State. I'm
> trying to integrate this imprint as well, but I'm struggling because obviously since
> the creation of Vinit the genode architecture has changed quite a bit (at least for a
> newcomer like me). E.g. I'm having trouble corresponding the required changes
> from [3] to add_client() to the 16.08 version (it exists in a different place with a
> different signature and a much smaller body).
>
> So I'm wondering if maybe in the meantime there exists an easier way to access
> the IP (and other registers) of a pagefaulting thread from within the fault-handler
> (in my example _handle_fault in [4])? Especially considering that my parent task
> has only this one child (with currently only 1 thread), if that makes it easier.

As you should be the parent of the traced component, you can intercept
the CPU session and remember all thread capabilities created by the
component. On a fault you iterate through all threads to select those
that are currently in a page fault. A good example for this is the GDB
monitor [1]. Now you want to select from the remaining threads those
that are in a fault on your specific address. This can't be done with
the current Genode API, but an easy way to achieve it would be to expand
the Cpu_state [2] to deliver also the value of the ARM Data Fault
Address Register or DFAR when calling Cpu_thread_client::state (make
sure to update the dfar member in [4] as is done in [3]).

Now you can arbitrarily choose one of the remaining threads, read its IP
from the Cpu_state, emulate its instruction, and write back results via
Cpu_thread_client::state. Then, you would have to continue execution of
the thread. Unfortunately, this is normally done automatically by
Genodes Core when it sees a new mapping that matches the fault address.
You don't want to do such a mapping, but there is no explicit "resume
this faulter". So, you have might add such an RPC call [5] and its back
end [6] to the RM interface. This shouldn't be much invasive.

If there are further questions please do not hesitate to ask ;)

Cheers,
Martin

[1]
ports/src/app/gdb_monitor/cpu_session_component.cc:
Cpu_session_component::handle_unresolved_page_fault

[2]
base/include/spec/arm/cpu/cpu_state.h

[3]
base-hw/src/core/spec/arm_v7/trustzone/kernel/vm.cc: Vm::exception

[4]
base-hw/src/core/spec/arm/kernel/thread.cc: Thread::exception

[5]
base/include/region_map/region_map.h

[6]
base/src/core/region_map_component.cc