Genode region mapper

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at ...73...
Sun Jan 21 01:45:06 CET 2018

On 20.01.2018 02:05, Valery V. Sedletski via genode-main wrote:
> Also, I'm wondering, are the stack area and the linker area still
> implemented as managed dataspaces
> on base-linux? So, they are the same as on other platforms, but they
> only couldn't be nested? (As I understand,
> dataspaces on Linux are not RPC objects indeed, so they are just
> mmap-ped as a file in the same address space,
> that is the cause?).
>> For reference, you may take
>> a look at the handling of the stack area, which is a 256MiB-sized
>> virtual-address space window that is sparsely populated with the stacks
>> of the component-local threads.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Norman

Looked at
genode/repos/base-linux/src/include/base/internal/region_map_mmap.h,
comments make this clear. So yes,
stack area is implemented as a managed dataspace. The limitations are
that it cannot be attached twice, and cannot be attached to another
managed dataspace. It still could be attached to the root region map.
So, I'll be able to reserve the shared area as a managed dataspace. But
still, I'll could not reserve sub-regions within it, for subsequent
mappings/unmappings.