Genode region mapper

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at ...73...
Sat Jan 20 19:06:00 CET 2018

On 20.01.2018 02:05, Valery V. Sedletski via genode-main wrote:
> On 19.01.2018 23:33, Norman Feske wrote:
>
>> For reference, you may take
>> a look at the handling of the stack area, which is a 256MiB-sized
>> virtual-address space window that is sparsely populated with the stacks
>> of the component-local threads.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Norman
>>
> Thanks, will look at it!
>
> I'd like everything to work on Linux as well, though. Still having a
> Genode region map API wrappers, which implement
>
> their own accounting for all VM regions, looks feasible. So, if I use
> these wrappers exclusively, avoiding the
>
> direct usage of Genode RM API's, I'd be able to maintain the required
> address space layout. But I need to think, of course.

Also, I had another important question, I am in doubt regarding it. --
It seems like there's no means to look up an address for existing
mappings on Genode (am I not right here?). I need that, at least, for
implementing an API for releasing memory. The API only knows an address
of a released memory region. Maybe, it's not required indeed with
managed dataspaces, but I'm not sure. -- What if I'll allocate a managed
dataspace, attach it to my address space, and map some backing store
dataspaces into it. So, when I'll release this managed dataspace, would
the backing store dataspaces be released as well automatically? I need
to release these dataspaces afterwards. Usually I'm using a lookup
function to get these dataspaces, then release them one by one. I work
this problem around with maintaining a list of structures, per each
allocated memory region, so when I need to release the region, I search
the list for a corresponding structure, get a dataspace capability from
it, and then detach it and release. With a lookup function, maintaining
such list manually is not required. So, do I need to care about
releasing these backing store dataspaces manually, inĀ  case of a managed
dataspace, or is it released automatically, when a managed dataspace is
destroyed? Would be the need in a lookup function avoided with managed
dataspaces?