nitpicker focus

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Jan 19 12:56:43 CET 2018

Hi Boris,

> I made a simple GUI app with a textbox that pops up and disappears when
> required. However, whenever this popup appears I want nitpicker to
> immediately change focus to this popup and put it in front of all other
> nitpicker clients and windows. Now the behaviour is either "click",
> "transient" or "none", meaning the focus is only given when the user
> clicks on the window, or never.

I had to solved this exact problem in the Sculpt scenario where the
control panel "Leitzentrale" should always have the keyboard focus while
activated. Otherwise, the regular nitpicker focus policy should be in
place. I hope that my solution works equally well for your scenario:

Please have a look at the combination of the 'nit_user_focus' and
'nit_focus' components in the sculpt.run script [1]. The former captures
the state of the regular nitpicker focus. The latter overrides the
former whenever the Leitzentrale is enabled.

[1] https://github.com/nfeske/genode/blob/sculpt/repos/gems/run/sculpt.run