Bender and GRUB1 "legacy"

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Tue Feb 27 20:31:29 CET 2018

Hello,

On 23.02.2018 18:47, Valery V. Sedletski via genode-main wrote:
> scenarios, so far. NOVA seems to hang on my three available
> machines, for some reason. So, I tried the Fiasco.OC kernel instead.
> (But VirtualBox and Seoul are working on NOVA only). So far, my
> attempts to run Sculpt was not successfull too. It looks like acpi_drv
> does not like something in ACPI tables of my test machine.

the provided information are very vague. What exactly "does
not like something" mean ?

Please note that on Genode/Fiasco.OC you see output since the
kernel prints the Genode messages also to the VGA console.

On Genode/NOVA there is no such support by the kernel for Genode. That
means, probably the NOVA kernel is booted up completely and Genode gets
running and just get stuck in your apci_drv issues you encountered.
You just don't see it. You have several options here:

a) Either debug the early boot on Genode/Fiasco.OC (having VGA output),
which could also solve your issue with Genode/NOVA bootstrap.

b) Get serial output of Genode/NOVA on you target machines.

c) Alternatively, you may try a debugging commit [0] for Genode/NOVA
which adds some very limited VGA output support. The patch is probably
outdated and you will have to adjust it.

If you really want to get your hardware running, I would go with option
b), if this is not possible with a) and if nothing
helps with c).

[0] https://github.com/alex-ab/genode/commits/experimental_vga_console_16_08

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

http://www.genode-labs.com - http://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden