Bender and GRUB1 "legacy"

Valery V. Sedletski _valerius at ...73...
Tue Feb 20 03:18:08 CET 2018

Installed GRUB2 on another flash stick (with FAT32) and trying to boot
the same setup as above:

set timeout=0
set gfxpayload="0x0x32"

menuentry 'Genode on NOVA' {
  insmod multiboot2
  insmod gzio
  insmod part_msdos
  insmod fat
  multiboot2 /boot/bender
  module2 /boot/hypervisor hypervisor iommu serial novpid novga
  module2 /genode/sculpt/image.elf.gz image.elf
}

I see NOVA hanging. If I remove "novga" from NOVA command line, it
prints info about CPU's (Core2Duo, two cores) and hangs. Trying to
remove "serial" results in a reboot. Maybe, the problem is with serial
port (machine is Asus laptop, and has no COM ports). Or, the problem is
with IOMMU support? Core2Duo has no IOMMU support, AFAIK. But removing
"iommu" does not help. Any ideas?

WBR,
valery

P.S. How do I cause GRUB2 to show loading progress and avoid clearing
screen? GRUB1 showed progress, but version 2 has "silent" mode by
default, it seems