width of log window in sculpt 18.06

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Aug 7 15:55:37 CEST 2018

Hi Pirmin,

> Only one thing doesn't work for me at the moment. In 18.05 it was possible to increase the width of the log window by
> changing the configuration for log_nit_fb in /config/leitzentrale. I used this a lot for better readability of the log.

the placement and size of the windows is not configurable at this point
and potentially subject to further changes in the next iterations of
Sculpt. Everything is still in flux. In the longer term, I ultimately
want to remove the log window from the leitzentrale. Instead, all
interesting information should better be reflected by the GUI. The log
window is just an intermediate solution until we get there.

For actually reading the log, I often prefer to use 'vim /report/log' in
the inspect window instead of looking at the tiny font of the log
window. The log window is really only good for getting a quick
indication of what's happening. Alternatively, you may start an instance
of pkg/noux-system in a regular window and watch the log via 'tail -f
report/log'.

Anyway, if you want to tweak the window placement by the means of
customizing the sculpt manager, please have a look at [1], in particular
the log_min_w and log_win_h constants.

[1]
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/gems/src/app/sculpt_manager/main.cc#L406