additional base linux core

Johannes Kliemann Johannes.Kliemann at ...250...
Tue Oct 17 17:55:12 CEST 2017

Hi,

I want to create a base-linux core that is able to run on a bare linux
kernel to use it such as any other microkernel in Genode. Since
base-linux already implements some of the required interfaces I'd like
to reuse the already existing components as much as possible.

Yet I'm not sure what the way to go is:

 - Copying the contents of base-linux into a new repository would
probably make an easy start but lead to code duplication (and I would
probably have to port all updates of base-linux).

 - I already tried to reinclude the contents of base-linux (my
repository currently only consists of Makefile fragments). Even though
it builds it's often quite hacky to relocate some of the $(REP_DIR)
entries to base-linux without breaking $(REP_DIR) itself. Also external
libs sometimes don't seem to find the correct headers.

- Directly extending base-linux would avoid these problems but this
would require either a switch to choose between the original and the new
functionality of this core or even better a "hybrid" core that is able
to run in both environments. Also this change would probably need to get
upstream (I don't know if this kind of change would be a problem generally).

What is the recommended way to do this?

Regards,
Johannes