thread cancel_blocking usage, kernels

Steven Harp steven.harp at ...486...
Tue Oct 17 17:47:19 CEST 2017

Norman:

Thank you for the very thoughtful explanation. I found no useful examples
of cancel_blocking in core Genode, so perhaps it is safe enough to remove,
at least from the documentation; or, emit a warning in the implementations.

The final sentence of Section 4.7.6 "Enslaving services" is the one
that suggested my experiment (17.05 edition).  Possibly I took this
out of context.  Overall the Foundations book is of excellent quality,
and sets a standard for systems of this type.

Arranging component relationships so that client and server correspond to
a natural asymmetry of trustworthiness is sometimes straightforward, but
sometimes ambiguous.  E.g. should one trust calls to a log service? What
if the log service gets upgraded to log to a network host that falls under
control of an attacker? The attacker exploits a vulnerability and owns
the logger; some critical component then halts the next time it issues a
logging call. Yes, you can e.g. redesign the logger as a client--I've done
this, but it adds to the complexity of other components.

In some cases, RPC might not be the most natural communications solution.
Is asynchronous message-passing (using only signals and shared memory)
feasible in Genode?  Maybe something similar to "vchan" in Xen/Qubes.
Perhaps this exists?

// Steve