Steps to try a genode image on Wandboard

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Thu Nov 30 17:31:16 CET 2017

Hello Kumar,

please find my comments below inline with your quoted email.

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 01:32:37PM +0000, Sathish Kumar Balasubramaniam -ERS, HCL Tech wrote:
> hence i tried the following
> $ ./tool/create_builddir wand_quad
> $ cd build/wand_quad
> $ make KERNEL=hw

You're on the right track, but the command above tries to build
*everything* you enabled in REPOSITORIES. For a simple scenario, you
have to run a so called "run script" by

  make KERNEL=hw run/<script name>

> it asked to prepare lot of packages like qt5, rust, libpng, etc.
> after few issues in this, i installed all of them.
>
> now i am facing an error like the following

> error: Error loading target specification: Field data-layout in target specification is required
>   = help: Use `--print target-list` for a list of built-in targets
>
> recipe for target 'lib.rlib' failed

This seems a strange error in the RUST library, but we may just ignore
it as you seem to not depend on RUST.

> i just want to boot a simple image of hw-based or linux-based or sel4-based using genode on a Wandboard
>
> 1. Am i following the correct steps ? or is there any other steps ?
> 2. i added RUN_OPT += --include image/uboot to etc/build.conf to create uImage. is this correct ?

I'd recommend to just use our most simple scenario which boots a
minimal Genode system including a test that logs some output (via
serial line). Please run

  make KERNEL=hw run/log

which produces

  var/run/log/uImage: u-boot legacy uImage

Unfortunately, my expertise comes to an end here, but I expect you
know how to boot the image on the board.

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/