Boot problems using Genode 16.08 with Fiasco.OC r67 on a RPi Model B

Alexander Weidinger alexander.weidinger at ...256...
Wed Nov 22 14:21:38 CET 2017

Hi Stefan,

On 2017-07-24 15:17, Stefan Kalkowski wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>
> On 07/06/2017 03:10 PM, Alexander Weidinger wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was finally able to get the RPi to boot completely by adding the
>> following lines from foc r72:
>> https://github.com/skalk/foc/blob/r72/l4/pkg/bootstrap/server/src/platform_common.cc#L47-L49
>>
>> What still seems odd to me is, that when I'm using genode.img I can use
>> the kernel_addr_r address (0x01000000) stored in u-boot to successfully
>> boot the RPi.
>> For the image.elf I have to use a different address - something like
>> 0x8000 - otherwise the RPi just resets itself.
>
> I'm not sure whether I understand you correctly. When using Genode 16.08
> I do not get a "genode.img" file out of the build process.
The 'genode.img' file was created using the genode-arm-objcopy binary,
according to [0].

> I assume that your genode.img is equivalent to the uImage file built
> when enabling the u-boot run-tool plugin?
I must admit, I didn't try out the u-boot run-tool plugin for the rpi,
since we normally use the image.elf files to boot our platforms.
But I assume, that it basically does the same thing?
> Given that in u-boot you are loading the OS via "bootm XXX" you have to
> use an u-boot compliant image and not an ELF file. When using an u-boot
> image, u-boot copies everything (except the header) to the physical
> address given in the u-boot image header, and then jumps to the
> entrypoint address given by the same header. In contrast, when using an
> ELF file, you have to use the "bootelf" command within the u-boot
> commandline.
I did use 'bootm' for the genode.img and 'bootelf' for the image.elf.
Is there any advantage of using u-boot img files in comparison to using
the *.elf file(s) generated by Genode?
> Anyway, the u-boot image is generated by our run-tool (when enabled via
> RUN_OPT) out of the image.elf file. Thereby, the used memory areas after
> the process of loading by u-boot, should be the same. The loading itself
> should succeed, as long as you are using the memory area to hand over
> the image to u-boot (either ELF or u-boot image)
Since now I'm also aware of
> When booting images that have been loaded to RAM (for instance using TFTP download) you have to be careful that the locations where the (compressed) images were stored do not overlap with the memory needed to load the uncompressed kernel.
[1], I assume I simply overwrote my *.img in the RAM and it therefore
lead to system crashes as promised by U-Boot?
Even if the *.img files generated by Genode are/were not compressed,
I assume the copying in the RAM overwrote the *.img file in my case.

> Regards
> Stefan

Thanks for all the clarifications and sorry for the late response.

Regards,
Alexander

[0] https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/13.11#Raspberry_Pi
[1] https://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/UBootCmdGroupExec