Golang on Genode: a follow-up

Rolf Sommerhalder rolf.sommerhalder at ...278...
Thu May 25 19:59:34 CEST 2017

Hello,

At GopherCon 2016 [1, 2], Bernerd Schaefer presented AtmanOS [3, 4]
which cross-compiles Go programs so that they interface/run directly
on Xen hypervisor, e.g. as hypervisor-aware Unikernels, without
requiring a Guest OS on virtualised environments.

According to Bernerd, AtmanOS provides a microkernel, an
implementation of Go's runtime, and standard library, all implemented
natively in Go (3000 lines) with a little bit of Assembly (150 lines).
>From AtmanOS' repo, I noticed that they have recently updated it's
bootstrap code to the latest version of Go 1.8.1, so the project is
still active.

After following the threads about Golang on Genode and reviewing
AtmanOS, I suspect that AtmanOS could facilitate bringing Go to
Genode, for example by making AtmanOS target Virtualbox in addition to
Xen (maybe not so elegant), or by adapting/replacing AtmanOS'
microkernel with Genode, and porting the Go runtime, standard library
and system packages that AtmanOS wrote in Go for Xen or its own
microkernel, respectively (maybe preferable over Virtualbox).

Am I reading too much into it? Would it be worth diving deeper into
AtmanOS' sources? Any thoughts, comments?

Thanks,
Rolf

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Ls6xZdSrE
[2] https://atmanos.org/talks/go-without-the-os-gophercon-2016