Restoring child with checkpointed state

Denis Huber huber.denis at ...435...
Mon Mar 27 16:14:23 CEST 2017

Dear Genode community,

Preliminary: We implemented a Checkpoint/Restore mechanism on basis of
Genode/Fiasco.OC (Thanks to the great help of you all). We store the
state of the target component by monitoring its RPC function calls which
go through the parent component (= our Checkpoint/Restore component).
The capability space is indirectly checkpointed through the capability map.
The restoring of the state of the target is done by restoring the RPC
objects used by the target component (e.g. PD session, dataspaces,
region maps, etc.). The capabilities of the restored objects have to be
also restored in the capability space (kernel) and in the capability map
(userspace).

For restoring the target component Norman suggested the usage of the
Genode::Child constructor with an invalid ROM dataspace capability which
does not trigger the bootstrap mechanism. Thus, we have the full control
of inserting the capabilities of the restored RPC objects into the
capability space/map.

Our problem is the following: We restore the RPC objects and insert them
into the capability map and then in the capability space. From the
kernel point of view these capabilities are all "IPC Gates".
Unfortunately, there was also an IRQ kernel object created by the
bootstrap mechanism. The following table shows the kernel debugger
output of the capability space of the freshly bootstraped target component:

000204 :0016e* Gate   0015f* Gate   00158* Gate   00152* Gate
000208 :00154* Gate   0017e* Gate   0017f* Gate   00179* Gate
00020c :00180* Gate   00188* Gate          --            --
000210 :       --            --     0018a* Gate   0018c* Gate
000214 :0018e* Gate   00196* Gate   00145* Gate   00144* IRQ
000218 :00198* Gate          --            --            --
00021c :       --     0019c* Gate          --            --

At address 000217 you can see the IRQ kernel object. What does this
object do, how can we store/monitor it, and how can it be restored?
Where can we find the source code which creates this object in Genode's
bootstrap code?

Best regards,
Denis