GSoc-2017: Platforms - Microkernelizing Linux, help needed

José Roberto Teixeira jrctbr at ...9...
Mon Mar 6 16:06:56 CET 2017

Hi Norman,

> Hi José,
>
> thanks for your kind words.
>
> > I think this explanation you gave would fit greatly in the Genode site
> > documentation. It would help a lot if the documentation had some
> > guidance on where to start, essential reading (like Tanenbaum's book on
> > Operating Systems), etc. Personally it would be great because I work
> > with systems development (Java, etc) but have a lot of interest on
> > microkernels and such areas are far from each other.
>
> Actually, I merely recommended the "Genode Foundations" book, which is
> already prominently displayed at the front page of genode.org. ;-)

I already got that book, and I think it's great. I even already knew it's a
second edition. I though I needed more background to read it due to my lack
of a deeper knowledge on Operating Systems - actually I'm a Mechanical
Engineer who migrated to systems analysis. You mean that reading "Genode
Foundations" is enough to begin understanding? Maybe some more background
in C and C++ and some reading on Tanenbaum's book, isn't it?

> > By the way, some time ago I saw some discussion here about how to make
> > this effort more visible. I remember it ended because the focus of the
> > project was about developing the framework. I understand and agree with
> > that, but if/when the idea comes back, I suggest considering releasing a
> > very basic server installation: essential GNU tools, TCP/IP stack, login
> > through SSH, a compiler, etc. The problem would be the drivers. But to
> > counter that, you could release the ISO at least for Raspberry Pi which
> > is a fixed hardware and is very widespread. It could be used as a home
> > server by hobbyists as a firewall (where security is paramount), as a
> > file server, etc. Or, maybe by handling the work of a dedicated server
> > that don't need to withstand great loads. To call more attention, it
> > should run starting at Raspberry Pi 1 model B, which has 512MB. About
> > this last requirement (to run on Raspberry Pi 1), I don't remember very
> > well, but I think running Samba, Apache and a firewall (which is built
> > in Linux TCP/IP stack) should not exhaust the memory, so I think it's
> > possible.
>
> I like the idea and don't find it unrealistic at all. But that said,
> someone has to step forward and actually do it. In the light of the many
> topics presented on our road map, it is unlikely that any of the regular
> developers will be able to pursue this direction in the near future.

I know. If had more background I would probably try to help on that. By now
I can only watch this list and try to understand the talks. Still sounds
like japanese for me. ;)

> In my opinion, the best we can do is to lower for the bar for a wider
> community to pursue such ideas. The package management as planned for
> the upcoming release will hopefully contribute to that.
>
> Yes, when I saw the intent on the package management I found it would be
the right direction towards an easier adoption.

Best regards,

José Roberto