Roadmap 2018

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Wed Dec 27 17:15:28 CET 2017

Hello,

thanks Norman for making a start with the road-map discussion and also
for the review of 2017. Personally, I'm quite excited that Sculpt
enables me to work on Genode each day. This is pretty much different
from what I felt one year ago with a rather static scenario that I
used only once for a talk.

Looking at 2017 in hindsight, I did not invest much time into my
personal plan, which was a Genode-native multi-component email
workflow including IMAP, SMTP, local (maildir) storage, and mutt as
MUA. Nevertheless, I'll extend the plan to 2018 as Sculpt promises
less obstacles and features true dynamic Genode subsystems beside the
traditional Linux VM. The first natural step is the use of multiple
VMs tailored for dedicated purposes of daily work (speak development,
email, web browsing). This is not my personal ambition but the first
pieces were already put in place by others in the team. This scenario
helps to understand and solve the task of sharing data when splitting
the daily work into more fine-grained domains. Next, the email VM can
be replaced by the Genode email subsystem developed in parallel.

Additionally, I'd like to explore more options for Genode as an OS for
network equipment. We already have a collection of network-related
components like NIC and WiFi drivers, nic_router, and the IP stacks.
What's missing is a Sculpt-like scenario one may just install on a
network/WiFi router. Initially, I'll address an easily available
x86-based platform to avoid time-consuming platform enablement or
porting of device drivers. Also for 2018, I anticipate that we'll
invest a good share of our development time into x86 PC hardware.

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com/ · https://genode.org/