Roadmap 2018

Nobody III hungryninja101 at ...9...
Sat Dec 23 04:18:17 CET 2017

I definitely agree that we need to make the sculpt scenario more
user-friendly. A desktop environment would help a lot, but isn't planned as
part of the official Genode repository. I'm personally working on my own
(see https://github.com/NobodyIII/genode-desktop-environment), and I'd be
more than happy to accept contributions. That being said, I would suggest
that we add an easy way to start Genode subsytems from inside noux. From my
understanding, the fastest way to start a subsystem in the Sculpt scenario
is to type the XML start node into one of the config files. If instead, I
could just type something like "start vbox_linux" into bash, I would be
much more inclined to put Sculpt on my laptop, like I did with Turmvilla.

Also, improved hardware support would be very nice. I have run into various
issues in the past, and I'll bring them back up if I still have problems
getting Genode to work on my computers. But even if all of the bugs have
been resolved, we still don't have an AMD framebuffer driver, or a NVIDIA
driver for that matter. For people like me who have high or non-standard
monitor resolutions, being stuck with the VESA driver is rather annoying.
I'm not sure whether these display drivers should be ported in 2018 or some
later year, but they should definitely be ported sometime in the next few
years.

We had porting a modern web browser on the roadmap back in 2015, but that
never happened, AFAIK. This might be worth pursuing again.

* We have started using a package manager (depot), but we need more
recipes, especially for ported libraries such as Qt 5.

* Many run scripts are outdated. Most still need to be updated to use depot
packages, and many don't work anymore due to recent changes such as cap
quotas. We need to update the run scripts and verify that they all work.

(* = high priority)