Memory write tracing/logging of an application / Watchpoints in Genode/Fiasco.OC

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Dec 1 08:16:55 CET 2017

Hi Josef,

> I want to be able to 'trace' every memory write access of an arbitrary
> target application, in order to 'duplicate' those writes into another
> memory location.
> Sadly, only now I have read that watchpoints are not implemented in
> Genode, and most probably neither are they in the underlying kernel,
> Fiasco.OC, which I have to use; breakpoints on the other hand seem to
> work just fine.
>
> My question is: Could there possibly be another way to achieve my goal,
> or do I have to bite the bullet and implement watchpoints myself?

this question reminds me on the student project of Martin Stein several
years ago. Martin's goal was to emulate I/O devices backed by an
on-target VHDL simulation. Both the driver and the simulated I/O device
would be hosted on the same machine. Each time the driver accesses a
memory-mapped I/O register, the simulated device would need to handle
that access.

Martin solved this problem on the base-hw kernel on ARM. Please refer to
his thesis for more information.

  http://genode-labs.com/publications/mstein-device_emulation-2011.pdf