VirtualBox subsystem on reconfigurable init

Martijn Verschoor verschoor at ...434...
Fri Apr 28 15:24:37 CEST 2017

Dear Genode community,

I’m rewriting a scenario that uses a compound virtualbox subsystem that can be dynamically spawned and killed using the new ‘reconfigurable’ init for which we previously used the cli_monitor.

The subsystem produces the expected log output for a few seconds, shows the “Press F12 to select boot device” virtualBox message, but ultimately hangs soon after a log message like: “fb resize : [0] 1920x1080 -> 720x400”. Also, the pointer no longer responds, and the intermediate init no longer generates reports. Other parts of the compound system remain functional.

I can reproduce this behaviour on the recent vbox{4,5}_win{7,10}_{32,64} scenarios in ports/run at genode/master (f6386c6) with the patch below. I tried vbox4 / vbox5, Linux 32 bit guest, Windows 10 64 bit guest.

Probably, I’m missing something trivial like a label prefix, but I fail to see what. Do you have any thoughts?

PS: regarding the patch, please note 1) our test system uses partition 1 (not 4) and 2) I increased the readability of the run script by copy-pasting a part of the generated config back in the run script before I added the extra init component.

Met vriendelijke groet / kind regards,

Martijn Verschoor

Cyber Security Labs B.V. | Gooimeer 6-31 | 1411 DD Naarden | The Netherlands
+31 35 631 3253 (office) |  +31 616 014 087 (mobile)