Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 16.11 released

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Wed Nov 30 16:05:59 CET 2016

In the new release, we revisited the most fundamental aspect of the
framework - the interplay between parent and child components. We
replaced the fully synchronous model of communication in this
constellation by asynchronous communication to vastly improve
scalability and reduce the effort of thorough evaluation of crucial
system components. Further, we refined the design and configuration
interface of our NIC-router component to ease its application in
common use cases. Additional highlights are NOVA kernel improvements,
VirtualBox version updates, and support for smart cards.

The current release contains the following changes and new features.

  - Base framework
    - Redesigned interplay between parent and child components
    - Improved RPC mechanism
  - Ongoing transition to modernized framework API
  - Extended virtual-networking capabilities
  - New timeout-handing API
  - Support for smart cards
  - Time-based password generation
  - NOVA hypervisor
    - VirtualBox updated to versions 4.3.40 and 5.1.10
    - New asynchronous map operation

Read the complete release documentation for the version 16.11 at

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/16.11

Best regards

--
Christian Helmuth