memory reference monitor in SW

Rijurekha Sen rijurekha at ...71...
Fri Nov 11 18:03:38 CET 2016

Quoted from http://soda.swedish-ict.se/3865/1/Thesis%252020100226.pdf:

"One of the major shortcomings of TrustZone is that it does not enable interposition on all exception types – as described earlier, system calls, undefined instruction exceptions, and MMU (both data and prefetch) aborts cannot be configured to trap to Monitor mode. Of course, it could be possible to have privileged mode exception handlers in the Normal world that forward exceptions to the Secure world via a monitor call, but this may not be feasible, reasonable, or trustworthy, depending on the situation.” - Page 79

"TrustZone offers no built-in way to intercept all Normal world exception types, and therefore no way to interpose on all guest kernel entries and exits. However, there is a way around this issue. The problem can be remedied by paravirtualizing the guest kernel. This effort could be rather minimal, potentially involving only the insertion of a SMC instruction at the start of each exception handler in the guest OS, or in the exception vector table.” - Page 81

What kind of exception happens when NW accesses a secure physical address? Will that trap to monitor mode? I cannot para-virtualize the android kernel, to include SMC() around exceptions, as the threat model is an untrusted user/OS.

Thanks!
Riju