[TZ_VMM] - i.MX53 QSB

Tiago Brito tb.genode at ...9...
Wed May 25 16:56:56 CEST 2016

Hi, I have an i.MX53 QSB development board and I want to experiment with
ARM TrustZone.

I'm a beginner with regards to genode and kernel development in general.

I was able to run tz_vmm on the QSB and interact with the linux which runs
in normal world. What I want to do next is a fairly simple system where
inside linux I can call an SMC and switch to the secure world, then whilst
in secure world print something (like "Hello From Secure World" and also
print some argument from the normal world) and then go back to linux.

I have read some of the messages in the mailing list and I noticed some of
you (other mailing list subscribers) already achieved similar communication
protocols but because I'm new to genode I don't know where to start.

I know I probably have to create a kernel module for the linux running in
normal world so I can call SMC from a userspace application, but I don't
know how to do that since I don't see where the linux is being compiled for
genode [1]. Do I have to compile another linux? How do I incorporate this
new linux version to work with genode?

Besides this I also don't know where to start modifying tz_vmm in order to
achieve my goals. I know where tz_vmm's code is but I don't know where to
start changing it. I have also seen some mailing list questions regarding
the world switch from secure world to normal world. It seems that from
normal to secure you should call an SMC, but from secure to normal the
monitor mode implementation cannot handle entries from the secure world and
thus no SMC can be called directly [2].

Can you give my some feedback on how to achieve these things on the i.MX53
QSB?

Thanks in advance, Tiago

[1] - https://sourceforge.net/p/genode/mailman/message/33244107/
[2] - https://sourceforge.net/p/genode/mailman/message/34244066/