service routing

Johannes Schlatow schlatow at ...238...
Fri Mar 11 11:34:14 CET 2016

Hi Ben,
Hi Norman,

On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 10:47:13 +0100
Norman Feske <norman.feske at ...1...> wrote:

> Right now, init actually responds to configuration changes (e.g., you
> can edit the decorator_init.config in the turmvilla scenario). But the
> response is quite archaic as it kills all children and starts the entire
> scenario from scratch. My idea is to let init apply only the differences
> of the change, for example, by starting a new component when a new
> <start> node appears, or killing a component when a <start> node disappears.

A student of mine was working on such an init component a while ago, which also tries to apply changes (e.g. a routing update) without a complete restart of a component if possible. @Norman: We could share/contribute the code if you're interested.

However, to keep the complexity of init as low as possible, we didn't care about solving the inter-dependencies e.g. between a new client and the policy updates of an existing server. I.e. this component alone does not solve Ben's issue if I'm not mistaken.

Instead, we pursue the idea of solving these inter-dependencies by a model-based reconfiguration subsystem that generates the appropriate (sub-)system configuration. Note that this can be used with both types of init.

Cheers
 Johannes