Feather: A very lightweight web service for Genode platforms.

Guido Witmond guido at ...231...
Sun Jun 5 20:19:42 CEST 2016

Fellow Genodians,

At Heeselicht, I've been working on my web server. With all your help, I
got it working.

It's single threaded, slow as molassis and - after fixing some of my
null-pointer errors - now runs for more than 5 seconds.

Actually, it's quite stable. It has been running for a day and night
without hiccups.

However, it's slow, I get up to 1500 kB/s when serving a 1.4 MB file.
Short files (300 bytes) get served at 5.19 kB/s. So there is plenty of
room for improvement given the specs of the hardware.

The site:
- http://eccentric-authentication.org

Source code:
- github.com/gwitmond/feather

Platform:
- Fiasco.OC with kernel debugger enabled
- Genode 16.2 framework.

Hardware:
- HP ProLiant DL120 G6 (2011)
- Pentium  G6950  @ 2.80GHz processor
- 4GB ECC RAM
- Network: on board Broadcom Nextreme BCM5723 with a 100Mb/s uplink
- No disk used, the site lives in a tar file loaded by grub at boot

It was a pleasure creating this, I hope someone might find it useful too.

With regards,

Guido Witmond.