Session quota yielding

Charles HH charleshh.genode at ...9...
Fri Jul 1 10:25:06 CEST 2016

Hi Norman,

My use case is a dynamic system with centralized resource management and
control. I'd like to be able to instantiate specific-purpose subsystems
isolated from each other and from the resource manager. When a subsystem is
created, its launcher has to bargain with the manager (through the loader
and a modified loader session) to obtain resources. It's a sort of fusion
between the cli_monitor and the loader. The subsystems should however be
able to yield back resources when, for example, one of their children exits.

Because of the absence of session quota yield, I was thinking of
implementing some sort of freed resource pool in the loader that would be
used (with validation from the centralized component of course) before
requesting a session upgrade. That approach doesn't seem satisfying though,
because I would have to change the one loader-session per subsystem and
permit potential resource stealing/leaking between them.

As a side question, how is the quota associated with a session registered?
Is every component involved in the session creation responsible for
remembering the quota it transfered?

Regards,
Charles