e1000 nic driver problem

Sebastian Sumpf Sebastian.Sumpf at ...1...
Fri Jul 1 07:52:23 CEST 2016

Hi John,

On 07/01/2016 05:58 AM, john stokes wrote:
> it's fine but can you tell me how can i boot l4linux without e1000 or
> rtl8139 support?

It is sufficient to not start any nic_drv (dde_ipxe) in your Genode
configuration (as you stated). L4Linux does not have access to any
*real* hardware on Genode, it is a virtual machine. Network access is
provided by a Linux driver that uses Genodes nic session. Please have a
look at:

<genode-dir>/repos/ports-foc/src/lib/l4lx/genode_net.cc
<genode-dir>/repos/ports-foc/src/drivers/genode_net.c

If the driver does not find a nic service it silently does nothing. As
stated above, the nic service is provided by dde_ipxe for x86 on Genode.

Do you see any errors on real hardware? If so, please send the log
output of that, not the one from Qemu. dde_ipxe does have support for
rtl8169 and should be able to detect your card automatically. Otherwise
Qemu should work fine with an e1000 setting, for it is just a device
model there that uses the Linux infrastructure.

Regards,

Sebasitan