Roadmap 2016

Pontus Åström ponast at ...9...
Mon Jan 11 13:31:55 CET 2016

A short an quick answer to Normans last reply:

* I think top priority for the 2016 Roadmap should be given to paying
customers of Genode Labs without whom Genode would be a much less
useful product to the rest of us.
* Of course no major change in the Genode API should be planned from a
simple suggestion in this mail thread without deeper motivation in
terms of use cases and working examples. I plan to create some
examples with the existing mechanisms suggested by Norman to see what
performance is achieved in various areas like code quality, stability
and speed. If I get that far some basis for change to the 2017 Roadmap
may be at hand. The reason I highlighted the issue with state machines
is that I believe they may be one additional killer feature of Genode
if implemented correctly throughout and therefore I gave this heads up
now. BTW, hierarchical state machines (HSMs) can grow to 10s of states
without having an explosion in the number of transitions. With
cooperating independent HSMs the number of states scale even higher.
This is why HSMs and possibly cooperating HSMs (within a component)
merit support by the Genode OS rather than just plain flat FSMs.
* I give thumbs up for encrypted external block storage and I second
Guido's request for better support for the seL4 kernel.

Regards,

Pontus

Hälsningar,

Pontus