Genode, TrustZone and Android on i.mx6

Vincent Raes raes.vincent at ...9...
Thu Jan 7 17:01:10 CET 2016

Hello,

I am currently working on a TrustZone demo using Genode in the Secure world
and an Android OS in the Normal world on the SABRElite board.

I've succesfully got  the Genode 15.08 base-hw kernel working on the board
but I am running in some issues with the Normal world. For this I am using
an Android distribution customised for the SABRElite, provided by the SoC
distributor.

One major problem is that I'm unable to get any output from the Android OS
when it is booted by Genode. When booting Android using u-boot, there is
output as expected. This supports the idea that the used Device Tree Blob
is correct. The command line options for the kernel are provided during its
compilation. This seems to work since booting with u-boot gets output on
the specified ports.

When booting with Genode however, there is no output whatsoever. The
location of the DTB in the memory is passed to the Normal world using the
r2 register, which as far as I know is all that needs to be done.

Any input on this would be much appreciated since you can probably imagine
that debugging the Normal world kernel without output is a grueling task

For now there exists a workaround for debugging using kernel output, thanks
to the Secure world. The current debug procedure consists of entering the *smc
*command in the code to check whether the Normal world reaches this portion
of code. This has allowed me to get the kernel itself running but here I
ran into another issue, being the L2 cache used in the SABRElite board.

The Linux kernel tries to configure which can't really be done from the
Normal world. It can however make calls to the Secure world to configure
the restricted registers. Once the cache is actually enabled, Genode
immediately stops though. I imagine this is caused by the fact that Genode
does not expect the L2 cache to actually work.

Are there any pointers to correctly configure the L2 cache in Genode to
keep it executing after the cache's activation? Alternatively, is it
possible to run Android without the L2 cache and how would one best go
about achieving this?

Best regards,

Vincent