Roadmap 2016

Jookia 166291 at ...9...
Sat Jan 2 02:37:21 CET 2016

On Fri, Jan 01, 2016 at 04:44:30PM -0700, Nobody III wrote:
> Should we be porting Firefox or Chromium? Chromium is already designed to
> use sandboxing. Also, given the critical security role of web browsers, it
> seems most logical to heavily modify whichever browser we port to take full
> advantage of Genode's security features.

Porting Tor Browser (based on Firefox) is probably one of the best moves that
could be done given how privacy-orientated it is above any other browser. It's a
requisite for having proper anonymous web browisng on Genode.

Although it's not a security matter, Chromium doesn't exactly have a good
history when it comes to keeping the code base free. On a development level, it
just seems to be code meant to be turned in to Chrome, not an intentional
browser by itself like Firefox.