Updating Genode's license to AGPLv3 + open-source linking clause

Jookia 166291 at ...9...
Mon Dec 19 22:12:23 CET 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:55:25PM +0100, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hello Ilya,

Jookia here, not a direct reply.

> the discussion has largely deviated from the original topic, which is
> Genode's move from GPLv2 to AGPLv3. Please note that the relationship of
> proprietary software and Genode remains untouched by Genode's license
> change.
>
> Even though I am little afraid of the discussion getting further
> derailed, I don't want to leave your remarks unanswered.

Apologies for starting this derail. I just want to say that I truly admire the
extent Genode has taken to push for free software, and it's changed my thinking
in a lot of it. I think actions speak louder than words, but it can be confusing
when a lot of the times dual-licensing is used against the community for
companies to effectively get free developers.

My primary concern is that I don't want to see a situation where it turns out
Genode Labs and the community are at odds over a fork or distribution that takes
off but can't be dual-licensed or otherwise enter this business model.

> Regards
> Norman

Jookia.