Updating Genode's license to AGPLv3 + open-source linking clause

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Dec 16 11:49:07 CET 2016

Hello Jookia,

>> If by "your own" code you mean proprietary code, the only plausible
>> approach to combine it with Genode without a commercial license is
>> stuffing your code into a virtual machine. The (virtual) machine
>> interface is an universally accepted license boundary.
>
> To my understand the GPL and AGPL allow combining with proprietary code as long
> as you don't convey it to others. Is this wrong?

I presumed that Vasily intends to actually distribute/deploy his own
software. If he keeps it private, he can do whatever he likes.

As a side note, I would prefer to not side-track the discussion too
much. For general GPL questions, one may refer to existing and
comprehensive resources like the GPL FAQ. Let us keep the discussion
focused on Genode's particular case.