(home) recording studio - low latency audio & hardware

Krefft, Daniel daniel.krefft at ...256...
Mon Dec 12 08:45:30 CET 2016

Hi,

I want to build my own audio recording system (mostly standard components).
Genode seems a great and highly customizable alternative to blown up operating systems <insert one of the three main os here> with some extra packages.
Also, it offers a low latency audio support on-top of alsa (good starting point).

So, the following random questions came into my mind:

1) Is the turmvilla scenario a good starting point?
2) What about the support for firewire-devices (e.g. audio interfaces)?
3) Does the e.g. Linux-kernel need to be patched to get lower latency?
4) Which PC architecture is supported (x86 & x86_64)?
5) What is the current state of the display-driver?

The general setup should be similar to this:

PC: Haswell CPU (i5, 2.6 GHz), 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Mini ITX Formfactor
Equipment: Firewire Audio Interface
Software: Linux-Kernel or base-hw, ALSA, FFADO, JACK?, Ardour4, ...

Thank you in advance.

Best regards
Daniel

--