Some inter thread/component communication questions

Menno Valkema menno.genode at ...9...
Thu Apr 14 11:48:58 CEST 2016

Hi Everyone,

I've some questions with regards to Genode synchronization features
between threads and components.

First a question about packet streams:

1) Can we expect the packet streams to deliver packets in order to the
other component as a FIFO? Thus: can we expect the packet submitted
first, to be delivered first at the other component? Also when bursts of
packets are send through the packet stream?

Other questions are with regards to synchronization between multiple
threads within the same component:

2) Say we have 2 threads in the same component, where Thread A needs to
sleep until an event occurs in Thread B. How to address this? If A and B
were components, signals would be the answer. Would signals also work
between threads within the same component or is there some other approach?

3) What if those same 2 threads need to exchange data? When data is
shared between components, shared memory would be the answer. How to
approach this with 2 threads within the same component. Setup a shared
data space? Do those 2 threads share the same heap which we can use for
this exchange?

Thanks for thinking along.

Kind regards, Menno

PS. The first question is a repost, I noticed in my previous email the
subject was partially discarded. Sorry about that.

--
Cyber Security Labs B.V. | Gooimeer 6-31 | 1411 DD Naarden | The
Netherlands | https://nlcsl.com