running Virtualbox on Genode

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at ...1...
Wed Sep 23 14:01:03 CEST 2015

Hi Vincent,

On 23.09.2015 04:41, Vincent Digital wrote:
> I understand without serial port hardware, it is near to impossible to
> troubleshoot.

Yes.

> Btw, is it necessary to stick to 32-bit versions of the Guest OSs ?

Yes. We don't support 64bit guests currently.

> I notice the vbox_auto_win8 using the "assert_spec 64bit", does this meant
> that this script is for 64-bit Guest OS.

No. By invoking the run script you build Genode - not a VM. The VM image
is provided by you (vdi/iso) and is just used as is. So it means by
invoking the run script the assertion takes care that you build a 64bit
Genode "host".

> Anyway, I would to consult you what are the main hardware features that are
> required to be compatible to the Nova/Genode software ?

Here at Genode Labs we focus for Genode/Nova on Intel-based hardware
(especially CPU, graphic card, wifi cards) - but not exclusively. In
principal all other vendors do - but you should expect extra efforts to
debug things or to develop/port/enable drivers for your devices. The CPU
must not be too old for the Nova kernel - especially if you want to use
virtualization extensions. Beginning with 1st generation of Intel Core
i3/5/7 CPUs you should be fine. Good experience we have with Lenovo
notebooks which we use regularly/daily to run Genode.

But still - whatever you buy/setup - you need a way to get serial output
from the machine - otherwise we can't help you really.

Cheers,

Alex.