Changing the Genode directory layout regarding aSPECts

Tue Sep 8 13:22:50 CEST 2015

Hello,

as discussed in the issue "Apply SPEC approach consequently to all
repositories" [1], I have changed the directory layout of Genode's
source tree accordingly [2].

The commit will probably enter the staging branch soon. Therefore, the
question for all Genode developers arises, what needs to be taken into
account. First, when you rebase to to the new directory layout, it is
strongly recommended to fully clean your build directories before
compiling again. Moreover, the top-level Makefile within the
build-directories has changed. This should be no issue, as it is
normally just a symbolic link to the Makefile within your Genode's
source tree.

After the change, when you add new code with aspect-dependent parts,
which means parts of the headers and compilation units are chosen using
SPEC-variables (e.g.: 32bit vs. 64bit, or arm vs. x86), that code should
reside in a 'spec/<SPEC-VARIABLE-NAME>/' subdirectory from now on.

I hope you are all fine with those changes. Until now, it didn't hit the
staging or master branches. So if there are any strong concerns against
it, feel free to express them now.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/1673
[2] https://github.com/skalk/genode/tree/issue%231673

--