Genode 15.08 NOVA Demo Blank Screen

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Sep 4 15:26:53 CEST 2015

Hi Thotheolh,

On 04.09.2015 15:08, Thotheolh Tay wrote:
> Do you need me to open a bug on the Github for this ?

just out of curiosity, did my workaround work for you?

I investigated the symptom a bit further by instrumenting Qemu
(hw/input/ps2.c). The function 'ps2_mouse_event' is called with bogus
arguments for dx and dy. It receives relative motion values in the order
of thousands. Normally one would expect single-digit numbers. Qemu now
tries to convert those values into a sequence of PS/2 packets. Because
the values are so extreme, a flood of PS/2 packets is generated, which
eventually triggers the overrun of an internal queue in our PS/2 driver.
This would never occur at a normal rate of events. The problem stems
from the fact that Qemu receives bogus motion events unless SDL's
DGAMOUSE parameter is set to 0. I am afraid that we won't be able to
solve or work around it within Genode. The problem lies somewhere in
libSDL or Qemu. Hence, opening an issue at our issue tracker seems futile.

I guess that the problem only occurs when executing Qemu within a guest
OS. E.g., I am running Qemu on Linux inside VirtualBox. Is this similar
to your setup?