strance error when running Nova + Genode + Seoul (scenarion : seoul-auto.run)

Parfait Tokponnon mahoukpego.tokponnon at ...360...
Thu Oct 15 17:58:53 CEST 2015

Hi Alexander,
That's correct, when I had set the timeout to 600, it ran perfectly.
Concerning the layers of virtualization, I understand well your concerns.
It was just for trying purpose.
Really, I am already considering moving to a real development platform and
let the Linux VM.
Regards,

alexander.boettcher at ...1...>:

> Hi,
>
> On 14.10.2015 12:44, Parfait Tokponnon wrote:
> > Yes, I am running Ubuntu from within a VM (VirtualBox). Is there any
> > problem related to it? I didn't know we cannot test the platform from
> > within a VM...
>
> developing within a VM is no issue, but actually running the result from
> within a VM is adventurous - at least - most the time, based on
> practical experience.
>
> In your case you have 3 level of virtualization/emulation nested - you
> are running Ubuntu in Virtualbox (1), then you run Genode/Nova inside
> Qemu (2) ontop of (1) and finally you run a Linux VM with Seoul VMM (3)
> on top of (2).
>
> Beside the obviously waste of CPU time and increasing your idle time,
> you have to rely on all upper levels to work correctly. Such a
> assumption and in principal such a development setup just leads to
> various types of frustrations - I would try to avoid that.
>

> > And Yes, when I had invoked qemu directly with the provided command in
> the
> > log file it worked too.
> > So what could be the explanation?
>
> Our run tool sets for automatically tested scripts (as seoul-auto.run) a
> timeout until it must have been finished. Since you say it works for you
> when you are calling qemu directly - it could be that the execution time
> in your 3-level nested virtualization setup is too short.
>
> You may try to increase the timeout in seoul-auto.run (search for
> run_genode_until) or try using seoul-net.run instead, which is mainly
> the same setup but without timeout.
>
> Does this change things for you ?
>
> If not, you would have to find out why tcl/expect stops working with a
> eof (in <genode-dir>/tool/run/run) error when waiting for qemu output.
>

> Regards,
>
> Alex.

Parfait T.