cannot run make/demo

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Thu Jul 2 10:47:55 CEST 2015

Hello Daren,

welcome to the list. Please find my comments below embedded in your
message.

On Thu, Jul 02, 2015 at 02:33:55PM +0800, Daren Sin wrote:
> I tried the steps listed in the Genode website, and I'm trying to run
> Genode on the NOVA microkernel.
>
> Previously, I've had trouble running the above because I didn't install
> Expect correctly. Now, I've passed that hurdle and encountered another
> problem:

> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mylinux/Downloads/genode-15.05/build_dir'
> genode build completed
> Warning: Cannot validate config syntax (please install xmllint)
> cp: cannot stat ‘bin/fb_drv’: No such file or directory

Here, the integration step tells you it's missing the framebuffer
driver.

>     while executing
> "exec cp bin/$binary [run_dir]/genode"
>     (procedure "copy_and_strip_genode_binaries_to_run_dir" line 4)
>     invoked from within
> "copy_and_strip_genode_binaries_to_run_dir $binaries"
>     (procedure "run_boot_dir" line 6)
>     invoked from within
> "run_boot_dir $binaries"
>     (procedure "build_boot_image" line 2)
>     invoked from within
> "build_boot_image $boot_modules"
>     (file "/home/mylinux/Downloads/genode-15.05/repos/os/run/demo.run" line

This line tells me you're trying to execute demo.run on Genode/NOVA.

Section "Using platforms other than Linux" of "How to start exploring
Genode" (getting_started.txt) gives some hints to run the demo on real
hardware, among others how to prepare and build the VESA framebuffer
driver for x86. The driver depends on the x86emu library to emulate
x86 real-mode execution of the VESA BIOS. Please try the following
steps in <genode-dir>

  ./tool/port/prepare_port x86emu
  make -C <nova-build-dir> drivers/framebuffer/vesa

Now you should get the fb_drv binary in <nova-build-dir>/bin and are
ready to try again

  make -C <nova-build-dir> run/demo

Christian Helmuth