Roadmap 2015

Antti Kantee pooka at ...279...
Fri Jan 2 15:45:47 CET 2015

On 22/12/14 21:52, Josef Söntgen wrote:
>    * Access to remote resources via network (NFS/SMB in rump_fs could
>      be enabled, a simple protocol like 9p2000 could be implemented)

For smb/nfs, you most likely want to implement the sockin_user set of
I/O hypercalls which allow the smb/nfs file system drivers from rump
kernels to use an external networking stack:

http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/sys/rump/net/lib/libsockin/sockin_user.h?r=1.1

Now, that interface wasn't really ever designed to be implemented
anywhere except on NetBSD.  Nevertheless, we (I think it was Arnaud)
managed to cram support for all userspace platforms into the
implementation.  If you do want to change some aspects of that interface
to help it work on Genode, I'm more than happy to do it.

Also, there's a 9p driver for puffs (*), which could theoretically just
work on Genode, though it would be a bit awkward; you'd run puffs in a
rump kernel server and the mount_9p client in a another server ... :/

*) http://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/usr.sbin/puffs/mount_9p/

   - antti