Virtualbox + rump_fs + qemu

a3an a3an at ...294...
Wed Feb 25 22:45:38 CET 2015

Hello Christian,

I have been running Nova 64 bit on a AMD Phenom machine and am using
qemu version 1.0.

The problem symptoms varied from 'vbox file already existing' to not
starting virtualbox at all. I decided to switch to Nova 32 bit. Now the
symptoms are stable, I am getting 'vbox file already exising' every time
now.

I went through the code of
genode-14.11/repos/ports/src/virtualbox/frontend/main.cc, which to me
seems to be the driver of VirtualBox proper.

At around line 106 I found rc = machine->init(virtualbox, vm_name,
*machine_config);
This call is unsuccessful and also generates the "Machine : Machine
settings file '/VirtualBox VMs/w7/w7.vbox' already exists" message. I
have located the the VirtualBox file where this message is emanating
from, it is MachineImpl.cpp, which can be found in
genode-14.11/contrib/virtualbox-fd1a0bb3692bfb4448f3b3f8978fc1c5d037e2c4/src/app/virtualbox/src/VBox/Main/src-server.

This is the function that is called at around line 502:

/**
  *  Initializes a new instance from a machine config that is already in
memory
  *  (import OVF case). Since we are importing, the UUID in the machine
  *  config is ignored and we always generate a fresh one.
  *
  *  @param strName  Name for the new machine; this overrides what is
specified in config and is used
  *                  for the settings file as well.
  *  @param config   Machine configuration loaded and parsed from XML.
  *
  *  @return  Success indicator. if not S_OK, the machine object is invalid
  */

HRESULT Machine::init(VirtualBox *aParent,
                       const Utf8Str &strName,
                       const settings::MachineConfigFile &config)

In here, Machine::tryCreateMachineConfigFile() is called (at 534). This
call finds out that the vbox file already exists and terminates VirtualBox.

I have tried to call Machine::initFromSettings() instaed in main.cc, but
that causes a lot more error messages for which I am lacking detailed
knowledge about the innards of VirtualBox.

Up to here, I don't think qemu or atapi_drv are to blame for this
problem, the call to Machine::init() looks to be the problem.

So, how exactly did genode.org succeed in executing  Windows 7 with
VirtualBox on Nova using genode-14.11 ?

Regards, Adrian Schuur.