How do I get the uImage on to the sdcard?

Martin Stein martin.stein at ...1...
Thu Feb 19 13:38:23 CET 2015

Hi Peter,

I don't know exactly what you mean with "bootup with any boot prompts on
the console interface". But looking at your working steps it seems to me
that there is a general misconception. You hard-copy the Genode uImage
to the beginning of the SD-card but neither represents this image a
proper bootoader nor is the bootloader assumed to start at block 0.

You should instead 'dd' a bootloader of your choice to the address that
is called on SD-startup, additionally create a partition that doesn't
overwrite the bootloader, copy the Genode uImage into this partition,
and then instrument the bootloader to load and execute the uImage.

I often boot an Imx53 this way by using the Uboot bootloader. My working
steps are as follows:

### uboot toolchain ###
wget
http://releases.linaro.org/14.09/components/toolchain/binaries/gcc-linaro-arm-none-eabi-4.9-2014.09_linux.tar.xz
tar xvf gcc-linaro-arm-none-eabi-4.9-2014.09_linux.tar.xz -C $MY_GCC_DIR

### uboot ###
git clone https://github.com/m-stein/uboot $MY_UBOOT_SRC_DIR
cd $MY_UBOOT_SRC_DIR
git co usb_armory_genode_tz_vmm
mkdir $MY_UBOOT_BUILD_DIR
make -C $MY_UBOOT_SRC_DIR ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=$MY_GCC_DIR/bin/arm-none-eabi- O=$MY_UBOOT_BUILD_DIR
usbarmory_config
make -C $MY_UBOOT_BUILD_DIR ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=$MY_GCC_DIR/bin/arm-none-eabi- -j$MY_CPUS

### mmc ###
sudo parted $MY_MMC --script mklabel msdos
sudo parted $MY_MMC --script mkpart primary ext4 5M 100%
sudo mkfs.ext4 ${MY_MMC}p1
sudo dd if=$MY_UBOOT_BUILD_DIR/u-boot.imx of=$MY_MMC bs=512 seek=2
conv=fsync
udisks --mount ${MY_MMC}p1
sudo cp $MY_GENODE_BUILD_DIR/var/run/$1/uImage $MY_MMC_P1_MNT/uImage

### boot ###
# as soon as uboot came up, interrupt the countdown and do:
setenv bootcmd=ext2load mmc 0:1 0x70200000 uImage; bootm 0x70200000
saveenv
reset

Don't forget to set all the variables in my scipt appropriately. If you
have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask ;)

Cheers
Martin