Packet alloc failed error

Guido Witmond guido at ...231...
Sun Dec 27 21:51:57 CET 2015

On 12/26/15 16:28, Christian Helmuth wrote:
> Hi Guido,
>
> Am 26. Dezember 2015 14:33:41 MEZ, schrieb Guido Witmond
> <guido at ...231...>:
>> It looks to me that the system dies on an unexpected packet from
>> the outside. And I don't want to place a linux based firewall in
>> front of Genode. ;-)
>
> I don't know what you mean by "unexpected" - the nic_drv always
> expects packets from the ethernet. To forward these packets to its
> single client, it has to allocate a buffer and a packet descriptor in
> the incoming packet stream. For some reason this fails, mostly
> because the client got stuck and does no longer acknowledge incoming
> packets resulting in failed allocations for further packets.

What I meant by unexpected is a packet that doesn't get parsed correctly
and triggers an exception, like a Ping of Death. I jumped to that idea
because it was independent of the amount of traffic I generated.

Before I took out the catchall I would get the 'failed to process
received packet' error multiple times, but again, no apparent link to
the amount of http-traffic.

I've reinstated the catchall and get some more 'measurements'.

- there could be more than one of these messages;
- the system still responds to pings;
- listening on a different port than 80 also gives these error messages;
- the hanging seems independent of the messages;

But at a different port than 80, I don't seem to experience hangs. It
could be the lighttpd that receives a request from somewhere out there
that makes it hang. So more like a Request of Death.

I'll start with chccking the input validation of lighttpd before
badmouthing the kernel. Expect more from me soon.

Cheers, Guido.