Thoughts about a new live system

Peter Lindener lindener.peter at ...9...
Wed Dec 2 22:34:04 CET 2015

Hi
    Fellow Genodians-

CC:  Jamil Weatherbee <weatherbee at ...373...> ( SnickerDoodle
<http://krtkl.com/> developer )

    First let me express that I'm overjoyed to read that Genode now
supports the Xilinx Zynq_7000 series SOC / FPGA,
I gather this means that turn key support for running Genode on
SnickerDoodle <http://krtkl.com/> may not be all so far away....

   In general, I think from a OS development perspective, it might make
sense to focus on supporting a fairly small number of fully specified
hardware target platfroms... that is, I think that Genode should aspire to
come up "turn key"...  for Genode developers who are willing to acquire one
of these "out of the box", targets....
   I see Norman's point, that is: I do not think (at this point) it would
be realistic for Genode to support the very large number of I/O / Memory
system drivers that would be required to provide a "live image" experience
that would consistently leave a good impression.

   Genode's hierarchical / recursive system definition does seem like a
vision that is likely to catch on soon enough,,,
Let's do our homework, and provide suggestions, that the core Genode can
entertain...with regard to the selection of a few platforms that might make
for a good first time Genode boot-up experience..

Thats my two cents.
   all the best
       -Peter