Para-virtualization support for ARM on Genode

Praveen B srinivasprv at ...9...
Fri Sep 26 18:48:24 CEST 2014

Stefan,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Stefan Kalkowski <
stefan.kalkowski at ...1...> wrote:

> Hi Praveen,
>
> On 09/26/2014 11:16 AM, Praveen B wrote:
> > Hi Stefan,
> >
> > Thank you for the information.
> >
> > Can you explain how we can run the two tests, Network performance and
> > compiling Genode's core on Genode tests?
>
> The network performance was measured using the run script
> "netperf_lwip", the Genode core compilation is measured using
> "noux_tool_chain_auto". Both run scripts can be found in the 'ports'
> repository, under 'repos/ports/run'.

Thank you. We will use them for our tests.

> > We will use latest Fiasco.OC kernel by modifying etc/foc.conf, if version
> > matters.
>
> It's just an assumption, as I said I don't know whether the developers
> of Fiasco.OC fixed the SMP performance weakness in a more recent
> version. The following e-mail from Christian Prochaska on the l4-hackers
> mailing list explains the SMP problem in more detail:
>
>   http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.micro-kernel.l4.devel/4896

I'll run L4Linux on L4Re on both the kernels(old and new). If I can find
significant performance improvement then I'll try to run over Genode.

> Just a warning: if you're planning to upgrade to a more recent version
> of Fiasco.OC, don't expect that everthing will run out-of-the-box.

If there are some issues like makefiles and toolchains, I might be able to
handle them. Otherwise, I'll get back to you.

Thanks and Regards
Praveen