Translation Table Memory Attribute bits

Fri Sep 5 14:30:59 CEST 2014

Hi Bob,

On 09/05/2014 01:43 PM, Bob Stewart wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Stefan.
>
> For the AM335x processors, the cacheability is required to be set to:
>
> Inner: Write thru, no write allocate
> Outer: Write back, write allocate.

Are you sure? Can you point me to the relevant information if it's
openly available? In the Cortex A8 and AM335x TRM I couldn't find that
restriction. I would assume that you don't have to change any memory
attributes, as we support Cortex A8 already (although this was
error-prone in the past).

> So, in 14 .02 I set the Tex, C, and B bits accordingly and that worked
> fine. I just transferred those setting to 14.08.
>
> With the rework in that tlb area of the kernel for multi-processor
> support in 14.05 and 14.08, I assumed I was screwing something up in the
> translation table entry attribute bits.
>
> According to the ROM fs dump "Rom: [8113b000,8117aa24) init". it is the
> .text section of the program image that starts at 0x81000000.

Don't mix things up: the ROM fs dump gives you the physical memory where
the boot modules reside in. The program image layout can be seen by
e.g.: objdump, or readelf. In this example they are
coincidentally nearby.

After re-reading your log output (I assume you've added the "void
Kernel::Thread::_mmu_exception()" printings?) it seems to me like the
init process produces a first page-fault, when executing its first
instruction, which is normal, and afterwards continues to run - so the
pagefault gets actually resolved, right? After that it gets additional
page-faults corresponding to its program flow. So what is the actual
weird behaviour? I can't see it given your output.

Regards
Stefan