VBox influences applications running on other CPUs

Christian Menard christian.menard at ...104...
Wed Nov 12 14:06:34 CET 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the patch! I tried various configurations, but the system keeps
behaving strangely.

I dropped the priority setting, because with priorities I ran into the problem
I described before - the VM hangs during bootup without any error messages or
a clear reason. However, I removed a few printfs (mostly "attempted to
read/write to non-existing port") to get a cleaner log and discovered that it
helps to avoid the issue.

When I setup a system that starts the Android-VM and Nitpicker in parallel on
top of my Framebuffer-Multiplexer but does not start any nitpicker apps,
everything works fine in single- and multi-processor case. However, as soon as
I start a nitpicker app like liquid_fb, the system gets very slow while the
android kernel is booting. The kernel boot takes more than 30 minutes (usually
a few seconds) and everything else is very slow as well. In the case where
virtualbox runs on a separate CPU it gets even worse. Once the kernel boot
completed, the system runs fast again. In this state starting virtualbox on
another CPU helps, the system in general responds faster and has better
performance.

I wonder why an app running in parallel to virtualbox influences the
performance of the whole system so drastically. First I thought it might be
related to my Framebuffer multiplexer, but the problem remains when starting
virtualbox in a liquid_fb. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks
Christian