Init Config Security

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Nov 6 09:02:03 CET 2014

Hello Ben,

> It seems that with the init config files generated by the run scripts,
> if any server/driver is compromised, it can take over the system, by
> requesting access to important services, such as those in the
> <parent-provides> section. It seems that to make init's config secure,
> one would have to explicitly name every service needed by a server and
> deny access to all others. Am I correct? If not, please enlighten me.

you are correct. During development, the use of wildcards is handy. But
for deployment, explicit routes are the way to go. See the corresponding
section "Using the configuration concept" in the documentation of the
init process:

http://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/init#Using_the_configuration_concept